About the Project
The project start off the shared need expressed by all European partners that local authorities encounter difficulties in listening and communicating with young generations, due to several aspects, such as the lack of channels and tools to stimulate active involvement, to a scarce knowledge and understanding of the democratic system and of the decision making processes and to a low amount of resources dedicated to this topic by local authorities.
These challenges can lead to two main attitudes: a scarce influence of young people in the civic society and in the decision making process, both at local level and at the European and, secondly, to a deficiency of active commitment in initiatives targeting young people and in the volunteering actions.
Moreover, a new challenge is coming from the migration phenomen, considerating that in many areas, citizens with a migration background constitute about half of the population.
The SAYouth project aims at securing the participation of young people in municipal decision-making processes and to promote their influence on issues of importance for the whole society including the promotion of sustainable democracy and the civic involvement of young migrant people as a tool for integration.
Specific objectives can be identified in:
- the promotion of an interactive and constructive dialogue between young people and public authorities at local and European level
- the development of more attractive and inclusive communication channels, tools and methods
- a better knowledge of democratic systems and organization at local and European level
- the increasing of a sense of belonging of youngsters in the public institutions at local and European level
- the promotion of an active participation in the civil society and public life and in the volunteering sector with a special effort dedicated to migrant young people
- the creation of the basis for a long- term cooperation among public authorities and youth associations through a digital tool created by participants.
SAYouth project tackles objectives and priorities set in the Europe for Citizens programme, as:
- To foster European citizenship and to improve conditions for civic and democratic participation at Union level
- Encourage democratic and civic participation of citizens at Union level, by developing citizens’ understanding of the Union policy making-process and promoting opportunities for societal and intercultural engagement and volunteering at Union level
- Fostering intercultural dialogue and mutual understanding and combatting the stigmatisation of migrants and minority groups
|Kick off meeting||3-4 March 2021|
|Transnational meeting||15-16 June 2021|
|Local events in Italy||26-30 April 2022|
|Local events in Poland||13-16 June 2022|
|Local events in Finland||31 August – 3 September 2022|
|Local events in Germany||20-23 September 2022|
|Local events in Bulgaria||3-6 October 2022|
|Local events in Greece||8-11 November 2022|
|Evaluation meeting in Italy||14-17 December 2022|
|Final event in Sweden||18-21 April 2023|
EACEA accepted to postpone the end of the implementation period to June 2023 to allow the development of activities with “face-to-face” meetings.